热搜: 活动 交友 discuz
查看: 4753|回复: 0

jane:Joh Gill said, ...

[复制链接]
发表于 2003-10-30 11:17 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
born from the simulation
Joh Gill said, ...
cited from rockclimbing.com
John Gill's posted this in May 2003, to answer a post from a young climber.

"Great post, Travis! You have done a really good job. Hey, I don't mind being called old! 66 is getting up there, and I kind of like the distinction of being the oldest climber on this site (I guess I am?). Only thing I might add is to read a bit of the literature - not just the latest climbing mags. Read books and journals that go back in time to get a feeling for the historical development of the sport. Read about Mummery and his landmark ascent of the Grepon in 1881, and how that changed the complexion of rock climbing in the Alps. Read about Whymper and Fred Beckey ( they weren't contemporaries!) Read about the gold medal ascents of the north walls by the Germans prior to WW2. Read about Royal Robbins and his climbing mates and how they opened up the great walls of Yosemite. Read about Miriam Underhill and her all-female ascents in the Alps in the 1920s. There's a huge amount of historical literature out there having very little to do with the latest 5.14, but having a great deal to do with the evolution to the current standards. "

Travis's post:
"http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31968&highlight=

本贴由janeclimber于2003年7月12日06:19:19在〖岩与酒〗发表.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|盗版岩与酒 ( 京ICP备05053585号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 15:43 , Processed in 0.064605 second(s), 16 queries .